The Division of Workforce Training and Economic Development is located in Holliday Hall at NEMCC in Booneville and at the NEMCC campuses in New Albany and Corinth.
Our division provides training to businesses, industries and residents within our 5 county district.
Industrial/ Manufacturing Course Offerings
The Welding and Cutting Course is intended to prepare the successful student for entry-level employment in the field of welding and cutting. The curriculum includes Safety, Shielded Metal Arc Welding (SMAW), Gas Metal Arc Welding (GMAW), Flux Cored Arc Welding (FCAW), Oxy-fuel Cutting, and Gas Tungsten Arc Welding (GTAW).
This course is an introduction to welding of pipe using the Shielded Metal Arc Welding process (SMAW) and Gas Tungsten Arc Welding (GTAW) including electrode selection, equipment setup, and safe shop practices.
Manufacturing Skills Certification
Manufacturing Skills Certification is designed to provide the student with the skills needed to be successful in a high-performance manufacturing environment. The course introduces and reinforces skills such as safety, print reading, precision measuring instruments and quality systems. In addition, lean manufacturing principles are introduced, including 5S, value stream mapping, kanban systems, and process controls.
Basic Print Reading provides training to understand the various types of prints, technical drawings and schematics used in an industrial environment. During the training you will learn to read and understand Orthographic drawings and Dimensioning and Tolerances.
In this class you will learn the Purpose and Language of Measurement, Scale Instruments and Accessories, Vernier Caliper, and Micrometers, Gages, and Protractors. You will also learn to make calculations and conversions.
Quality Systems Overview
This course offers an introduction to the concepts of Quality system elements, types of quality management systems and continuous improvement concepts, including lean principles, 5S, Value Stream Mapping, Quality Tools with SPC, and a basic overview of ISO 9001.
Lean 101 is an introduction course for the entire workforce providing a brief overview of lean tools. The class will include hands-on simulation designed to be fun and informative. Attendees will acquire a good overall understanding of lean manufacturing and the steps needed to implement change.
10-Hour OSHA Safety
The 10-hour General Industry Training Program is intended to provide workers with the general awareness of recognizing and preventing hazards in the workplace. This training includes topics; such as, an overview of OSHA, basic electrical safety, & walking/working surfaces, machine guarding, emergency action plans, and flammable and combustible liquids.
30-Hour OSHA Safety
The 30-Hour General Industry Safety Training course is a comprehensive safety program designed for general industry workers and supervisors. Specifically devised for safety directors, foremen, and field supervisors; the program provides complete information on OSHA compliance issues.
40-Hour Waste Site Worker Health and Safety
All hazardous waste site workers must have a minimum of 40 hours of training (OSHA 1910.120). This class is for personnel who work at hazardous waste cleanup sites. Topics covered include worker protection procedures, health effects of hazardous materials, personal protective equipment, air monitoring, waste site control, containment and emergencies, and equipment decontamination procedures.
24-Hour Industrial Emergency Response
This training course has been designed to fulfill the 24-hour HOWPER training requirements for personnel engaged in emergency response action at uncontrolled hazardous waste site.
This training provides your employees with training to recognize hazards, classify hazards according to standards, pack, mark, and label materials in compliance to standards, and to use reference materials properly.
Confined Space Awareness
Proper Confined Space Training will show employers and employees what the principal hazards are in Confined Spaces, and how to protect themselves. Whether the danger is engulfment, toxic or flammable atmospheres, or other physical or environmental hazards, employee awareness and protection are the most important aspect of Confined Space operations. Worker injuries and fatalities are preventable with the right mix of information and commitment from management.
Hazard Awareness and Communication
This course is designed to provide you with a general overview of each of the following critical focus areas:
- Potential Hazards of Chemicals, including Physical and Health Hazards
- Acute or Short-term Chemical Health Effects
- Chronic or Long-Term Chemical Health Effects
- The Importance and Need for Hazard Communication (HazCom)
- HazCom Methods and General Program Requirements
- Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) and Chemical Labeling Requirements
- Your Right To Know and Personal Responsibilities When Working With Chemical
Disaster Site Worker
The Disaster Site Worker training program is for Disaster Site Workers who provide skilled support services, (e.g. utility, demolition, debris removal, or heavy equipment operation) or site cleanup services in response to natural and man-made disasters. Specifically, it is recognized that all workers at disaster sites need to be aware of the differences between disaster sites and regular construction or demolition worksites and be able to inspect, don, and doff air-purifying respirators.
Leadership and Management Skills
Project leaders are more than just project managers; they possess a highly desirable blend of technical expertise, attention to detail and leadership skills. In order to build a high-performing project team, you need to harness the
combined experience of the team and exercise influence—with or without authority—as you oversee the project to completion. In this workshop you will learn
- Steps to start your project
- How to build an action plan
- How to develop a RACI form
- How to close out a project
Essential Skills of Leadership
A review of the most important skills a leader must possess
- Modeling leadership: character, integrity, respect
- Separating facts from opinions
- Engaging all experts
Essential Skills of Communication
Communication is the key to success no matter the situation. During this workshop you will learn to
- Build cooperative relationships that focuses on trust and respect
- Communicate successfully using simple and direct language
- Develop or increase your active-listening skills to anticipate and avoid misunderstandings
- Remove the barriers that weaken your ability to communicate well
The program uses a training technique called behavior modeling, which has been proven effective with all types of leaders, in all kinds of situations.
- Improve relations with team members
- Increased productivity because of improved relations
- Reduce the amount of stress in your work
- Focus on resolving conflict at the source, rather than reacting to situations that escalate to violence
To manage complaints well requires a proven process that builds on listening and problem-solving skills. Expected outcomes:.
- Understand why all team member complaints must be dealt with rather than ignored or dismissed.
- Be more sensitive to all the problems-major or trivial, real or imagined-that can lie behind complaints.
- Understand techniques used to determine underlying problems, which are not always the same as those the team member thinks are responsible for his/her difficulties.
- Use various techniques to solve such problems while maintaining a positive relationship with the team member.