WIA “Q & A”

What can the WIA program do for people who’ve been laid off or who just want to change careers?Many services are offered for people who have been laid off, as well as people who just want to change careers. If you are interested in going to work, we can help you prepare a resume, tips on filling out job applications, hints for interviewing, and your job search. Training opportunities are also available to those who qualify through local community colleges, as well as many sole proprietors.

If I’m drawing unemployment benefits, can I enter the WIA program for vocational or technical training and continue to draw my benefits?Generally speaking, yes. We do recommend you talk with an Unemployment Insurance representative to ask specific questions regarding your situation.

Will it cost me anything to enter the WIA program?The only cost you owe WIA is your time, commitment, dedication, and cooperation.If I enter the WIA program, am I guaranteed to get financial aid of some kind?Although you are not guaranteed financial assistance, you are guaranteed excellent customer service with answering all your questions, assisting you with applications to training providers, and filling out your FAFSA, (Free Application for Financial Student Aid).

Will the WIA program stay in contact with me? To ensure your successful completion of the program and to make sure you are taking advantage of all the services provided, monthly contact is maintained throughout your training period. Once you have graduated, we will be in contact with you only once per quarter for approximately one year.

If I get trained for a different career, will WIA help me to find a job in that field after training?Yes. We have in all WIN Job Centers, the Mississippi Employment Security Commission to assist you in finding a job. We also have computers with internet access and a list of online job search sites to help you find your new job.

If I apply for and get a Pell grant for training purposes, can WIA still help?Actually, you are required to apply for a Pell grant before seeking WIA services. Our staff can assist you in filling out the Pell grant application. WIA can still offer assistance for your training, depending on which training program you choose and if you meet all qualifications for the specific assistance.

What schools/organizations provide WIA-approved training?There are numerous training providers, as well as training programs available to view online at www.wininmississippi.org. Once you click on Eligible Training Providers, you can search by WIA area, course, provider, and county for an approved training provider and training program.

Does WIA partner with other organizations which might offer me assistance?WIA partners with many organizations both formally and informally. Some of our partners include the Mississippi Department of Employment Security, Vocational Rehabilitation, Adult Basic Education, Experience Works, Lift, Inc., Community Action, and the Department of Human Services. WIA is here to try to meet the needs of all who we come in contact with.