“High Quality Advising is Vital”
High quality advising is vital to the long-term success of Northeast. Advisors are the link between students and this institution. Students who stay in college are usually students who develop a relationship with one significant person at the college. Advisors are in an excellent position to be that significant person. According to Noel Levitz (Hovland, 7), good advising is a key to student retention. Studies prove that the best way to keep students enrolled is to keep them stimulated, challenged and progressing toward an academic goal. Advisors should try to ensure that new students get a good start, learn and understand their strengths. Effective advisors should care about students and want to make a difference in their lives.
The purpose of the academic advising program at Northeast is as follows:
- To provide accurate information about educational options, requirements, policies, and procedures.
- To help students plan educational goals consistent with their interests, strengths and abilities.
- To give students guidance, support, and encouragement.
- To make available and accessible the resources of the institution to meet the students’ special educational needs.
- To assist students by continually monitoring and evaluating their educational needs.
- To teach students how to become responsible consumers of their own education and make viable academic decisions (Hovland, 1).
- To help students diminish the confusion that comes with a new environment.
A top 10 list of reasons students will not be successful could look something like the following:
- Need for academic remediation
- Financial difficulties
- Full time employment demands
- Uncertainty of major/program of study and resulting deficient motivation
- Family hardships
- Lack of structure, schedule, and discipline (resulting absences and missed deadlines)
- Heartbreak leading to lack of focus
- Technology difficulties (a very immediate danger to many)
Please, consider areas such as those in the list above as general areas to which college students commonly fall victim. Your own awareness of your specific vulnerabilities can be a powerful determinant of the level of success you achieve as a college student.
The Counseling Center is here to help!