March 17, 2020
STUDENTS RECEIVING FINANCIAL AID:
Due to in-person classes being cancelled March 16-20 because of COVID-19, refunds scheduled for Thursday, March 19, 2020 are now set to be released on Tuesday, March 24 , 2020.
Thank you for your patience and concern during this unprecedented time.
STUDENTS: For those distressed about the scheduling alterations made by Northeast Mississippi Community College over the concerns of COVID-19 (novel coronavirus), NEMCC mental health counselor Kristin Wesson is just a phone call away. Kristin is available during normal office hours from 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. Monday through Thursday. To set up a time, students can email her at email@example.com.
March 16, 2020
For more information about Northeast Mississippi Community College’s response to the concerns raised by COVID-19 (novel coronavirus) and a series of Frequently Asked Questions for Students, visit our COVID-19 Information and Resources page at https://nemcc.instructure.com/courses/413294
STUDENTS: If you are in need of food during the next two (2) weeks due to the closure of the NEMCC campuses, please email the Tiger Den Food Pantry at firstname.lastname@example.org . There will be an application process and specific times given for pick up.
As always, the monthly giveaway will continue; however the application date has been extended to March 30. Pickup date will be March 31. Applications can be found for the monthly giveaway at the following link: https://nemcc.formstack.com/forms/tiger_d_e_n_application
March 14, 2020
- What about stuff in the dorm rooms? Please continue to check your NEMCC email and Canvas inboxes. Students will be allowed on a limited basis to return to dorms to pick up items. Administration is still in the process of determining if we will return to face-to-face on March 30 and will provide more information close to that time.
- What about proctored exams? Proctor Exam centers are still open for students to take online tests. Students MUST schedule their exams through SmarterProctoring in their online courses. Walk-ins will be turned away.
- What about refunds from Financial Aid? Financial Aid refunds are being processed. Please give time for the Financial Aid office to determine dispersantment schedules. Financial Aid will be making announcements soon.
- Will students return to campus any this semester? NEMCC is in the process of deciding the return to campus based on Health Department and Department of Ed guidelines. Announcements will be made as we approach March 30.
- What will students do after March 30? NEMCC is in the process of deciding the return to campus based on Health Department and Department of Ed guidelines Announcements will be made as we approach March 30.
- What about career technical classes or health science classes? We are currently planning for courses with hands-on components to meet in small groups. Your instructors will be reaching out by NEMCC email and Canvas inbox to give instructions.
- What about HSE/Pathway classes? Keep in contact with your instructors. At this time, HSE/Pathway classes are currently meeting.
- Will online courses continue as normal? Online classes continue as normal. No change.
- What about tutoring? Canvas includes access to NetTutor, an online tutoring service.
- What if someone needs a transcript? Go to the following website to request a transcript: http://www.nemcc.edu/transcripts/ (Links to an external site.)
- What if someone needs to come to campus for something else? Offices will be open, please call that main NEMCC line: 662-728-7751 and listen to the directory options
- What about PTK service projects and cheese pickup? Please contact your PTK advisors for more information
March 13, 2020
Dear NEMCC Family,
The arrival of the Coronavirus and current conditions in our country have the NEMCC family in a unique position. We are in previously unchartered waters. The most important thing without a doubt is the safety of our students and employees.
Even though we will be displaced and taken out of our regular routines, we must consider what is best for our students and employees.
We will continue to monitor COVID-19 (the coronavirus) and will follow the recommendations of local, state, and federal healthcare organizations. This is a fluid situation, and our primary goal is to keep our students and our employees safe and healthy. Our Facilities Staff disinfected the entire campus prior to spring break and will complete the task again next week. Supplies will be provided to each instructor for their usage.
At this time, all employees will return to work on March 16th, as scheduled. Please continue to monitor the college website (nemcc.edu), your college email, and text messaging alerts for updates and information.
Spring Break for students will be extended for one week – March 16-20.
- At this time, instruction will resume March 23rd. Students and faculty should prepare for coursework to be delivered online or through an alternate delivery method. We understand there are some clinical situations that will require a face to face class meeting. Those type situations will be addressed with your instructors, Division Heads, and the Office of Instruction. Dr. Baragona and her office will keep everyone updated. She will be meeting with each Division on Monday to clarify and answer any questions.
- The week of March 16-19 will be devoted to educating everyone as to the process. Most of our faculty are already capable of going online with their instruction due to the iPad one/one initiative we have in place. Thanks to your efforts, Northeast is extremely well prepared to continue with online delivery and technology. We are extremely grateful!
- Until further notice, all out of state travel has been suspended. All instate travel must be approved by your supervisor and the Executive Vice President’s Office on an individual basis. Most conferences have already been cancelled.
- All events sponsored by Northeast Miss. Community College or hosted in a NEMCC facility, will be suspended from March 13th until further notice.
- All athletic events and practices have been suspended until further notice.
- Dorms will remain closed until further notice. Dorm students will be notified as to when they may gain access to their room and retrieve items they need for instruction or other activities. Currently we are anticipating opening the dorm for retrieval of items on Monday and Tuesday of next week. Please check your email and website often for information and instruction.
- Stay alert and if you experience any concerning symptoms please alert your primary healthcare provider. Please keep a check on elderly members of your family and community since they are the ones most susceptible to experiencing life threatening conditions.
- If you have traveled internationally or are returning from one of the high level exposure areas please refrain from returning to campus on the 16th. Contact your supervisor and make arrangements to work from a remote location for at least twelve (12) days.
- If you experience any of the Coronavirus symptoms please stay home.
These are extra ordinary times and I know we will advance from this as only we can do.
Please continue to pray for our country and continue pray for me and the leadership team as we make decisions that affect the lives of our students, faculty, and staff. Above all, we must say a prayer for each other.
If you have any questions or concerns, please reach out to your supervisor or other members of college leadership team.
Ricky G. Ford, Ph.D.
Northeast Miss. Community College
Thursday, March 12, 2020
Due to growing concern regarding COVID-19 (Coronavirus), all face-to-face instruction on Northeast Mississippi Community College’s Booneville, Corinth and New Albany campuses is cancelled beginning Monday, March 16. Those classes will be transitioned to online instruction beginning Monday, March 23.
Traditional online classes will continue on a regular schedule.
Dorms remain closed.
Students should refer to Canvas and/or their school email account for additional information regarding the remainder of the semester schedule.
Administration will continue to monitor the situation and alert the campus community as necessary.
“We continue to do everything possible to prevent any health-related issues that may affect our campus community,” Northeast president Dr. Ricky G. Ford said. “We will be very diligent to monitor the situation as we move forward through this time of uncertainty.
“Due to our iPad initiative and advanced strategies in online instruction, we are confident we will transition our traditional face-to-face instruction to an online delivery very effectively.”
Administration, faculty and staff should report to work as scheduled Monday, March 16.
Additionally, effective immediately all athletic events, extracurricular activities and community-related events scheduled in any Northeast facility are cancelled until March 30.